WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to God the Father and He empowers us to live through the Holy Spirit.
Highland Church is part of the Assemblies of God Fellowship. Below are links to the core statements of faith of the Assemblies of God.
16 Fundamental Beliefs
What We Believe About God:
1. The Bible is inspired by God.
-2 Timothy 3:16
"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right."
2. There is One Living, Sovereign God who exists in three persons: The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
"Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit."
3. The Lord Jesus Christ is fully God.
"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
What We Believe About People:
4. All People are sinners who need forgiveness.
"Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned …"
5. Every person can have a personal relationship with God though Jesus Christ.
"He saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior. Because of his grace he declared us righteous and gave us confidence that we will inherit eternal life."
6. As an expression of our faith we observe the ordinances of water baptism and holy communion.
"Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned."
-1 Corinthians 11:26
"For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes."
7. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation that provides greater power and victory for believers.
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
8. The initial physical evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is speaking in other languages.
"And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability."
9. All believers experience an ongoing work of the Holy Spirit to draw them closer to God and become more like Christ.
"For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."
10. Jesus Christ is the head of the Church and whose mission it is to seek and save the lost.
"Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church."
"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."
11. We believe in a God ordained leadership and all believers are called to minister.
"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up."
12. Divine healing was made possible by Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.
"But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed."
What We Believe About Heaven:
13. In the end times all believers, both dead and alive, will be caught up into Heaven.
-1 Thessalonians 4:17
"Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever."
14. Jesus Christ will return to earth, along with His saints, to reign for 1,000 years.
"Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. For them the second death holds no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him a thousand years."
15. There will be a final judgment of those who have rejected Christ.
"And anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire."
16. At the end there will be New Heavens and a New Earth.
-2 Peter 3:13
"But we are looking forward to the new heavens and new earth he has promised, a world filled with God’s righteousness."